The Roman Map of Britain Segeloco on the Trent
Segloes (R&C 234) next
Placed at Littleborough (SK8282), Nottinghamshire by the Antonine Itineraries is the site is recorded as Segeloci. Finch describes the settlement there on the western side of the Trent crossing as 'on an 'island' of ground, raised slightly above the river's flood plain'. The Roman fort was on the eastern side of the river-crossing at Marton.
The pale green in the map below represents the flood-prone areas of the Humber tributaries, both riverine and tidal. The Foss Dyke joins the Trent about 5 km to the south, but is considered a canal for the purpose of navigation, rather than drainage.
The name Segeloci, treated as Segelocum by most, is composed of Br.*sêgô- 'power, force' and *loc- 'lake, pool'. Sego-, in this instance, probably indicates this stretch of the Trent's ability to quickly flood the plain. See Pokorny segh- 'to hold, possess; to unite in battle, to overwhelm' pp 888-889. Compare *loc- with Pokorny laku- 'water collected in a basin (ditch, lake, sea)' p653. OIr loch 'lake, pond'; W llwch; OCorn Bret lagen.
I believe the first to recognize Segeloes (and Daunoni) as related to Segeloci (and Dano) was Arthur William Whatmore in his 'Insulae Britannicae, The British Isle. Their Geography, History, and Antiquities down to the Close of the Roman Period' (1913).
Codrington Roman Roads in Britain p130 (1919 reprint of 3rd edition):
(7) Lincoln to Tadcaster,--With the rise of York, a way to the north without the inconvenience of a passage two miles wide across the Humber became necessary, and the road by Doncaster was made. It is followed by Iter V. (London to Carlisle) and Iter VIII. (York to London), and the Roman milliary now in the cloisters at Lincoln dedicated to Victorinus (A.D. 265-7) is supposed to give the distance, 14 M. P. to Segelocum, the first station on it.1 This road, which is called Erming Street when it gets into Yorkshire, branches out of the straight Humber Street almost at right angles at a point three and a half miles north of Lincoln. Camden says that it was called Old Street, and that the ridge was very conspicuous.2 For two miles the course is now across fields with traces of the ridge remaining, after which it joins Tillbridge Lane and continues in exactly the same line for eight miles to Littleborough, passing close to Stow Park railway-station. A causeway leads to the Trent, which was crossed by a paved ford. Gale saw it entire in the middle of the eighteenth century, a causeway 18 feet wide held up by piles. It was removed as a hindrance to navigation in 1820, and a man who was engaged in the work said that the ford was paved with rough, square stones, and on each side were oak piles 10 or 20 feet long, with timber cills across from one to the other.3 On the west bank of the river, Littleborough, the Roman Segelocum, or Agelocum, was situated.
inscription is A·L·S·M· / P·XIIII , expanded by Bishop Wordsworth to A
Lindo Segelocum milia passuum quatuor decim.
2 Britannia, ii. 337.
3 W. T. Watkin, Archæolog. Jour., vol. xliii. p. 12. [end quote]
LITTLEBOROUGH (SEGELOCUM); STURTON LE
STEEPLE; BASSETLAW; NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SK8282 TOWN, Roman EHNMR-632507,
ROAD, Roman EHNMR-632508
ST NICHOLAS CHURCH; LITTLEBOROUGH; STURTON LE STEEPLE; BASSETLAW; NOTTINGHAMSHIRE SK8282 BUILDING, Roman EHNMR-1319950