The Roman Map of Britain Verteuia North Tawton, Devon
Verteuia (R&C 14) next
Verteuia is *uer 'over' and teu- or tau- ' Taw' ERN 394-5.
The river Taw is Táwmuða c.1100, Tavus 1118 and considered identical with the the river Tay in Scotland. In 1086 the town of Tawton is recorded as Tau-, Tauuetona; Tave-, Tav-, Tavvetone.
The early Roman fort North Tawton SX6699 is on the Roman road Margary 492a, and follows Uxelis Okehampton (R&C 13) in the manuscript.
NORTH TAWTON; WEST DEVON; DEVON; FORT, ROMAN SX 6611 9987 NMR_NATINV-444022
NATIONAL MONUMENT NO: 10384